Thursday 17 January 2013

Screw the banks - Spread bet update

Okay, so in October 2012 I started my little spread bet challenge to beat the markets. My tool of use is IGIndex. Here's the summary in January.

My initial investments were Aberdeen Asset Management, Centrica, Hammerson and Unite Group. Of those, only Centrica is showing a loss of £0.89. This is based on a 1pp. Latterly I have added Elementis, Eurasian Natural Resources, Laird, Mytrah, Resolution and Talvivaar.

Here's the current picture.


The star performer is no doubt Aberdeen Asset Management. This runs until June 2013 with an opening price of 337.326. I was confident at the time and so issued a 2pp (£2 per point, loss or profit) buy bet. It currently stands as gaining me almost £100 profit. The other highlight for me has been Eurasian Natural Resources. A September finish and it's up 40 points from the start price of 303.

The ones I have to keep an eye on are Mytrah which have been disappointing and Talvivaar Mining. These are showing a combined loss of around £40.

The market has taken a little hit over the last day or so, and at one point my portfolio was trading at +£140. When my profit starts to get close to that again, it will time for another look as to introducing another one or two into the mix. Remember, I'm trying to beat the banks.

No comments:

Post a Comment